A family dentist in SW Portland OR can diagnose and treat many different conditions involving your teeth and gums. Typically, dentists like these offer a number of different services including the ones listed in the section below:
- Exams. During a standard dental exam, the dentist closely examines your teeth and gums, checking for signs of problems like decay or gum disease. They may use tools to probe parts of your teeth to see if they have any soft spots or other issues that need to be addressed.
- Dental cleaning. Having your teeth cleaned is one of the most common dental procedures. Typically, the cleaning is done by a hygienist rather than a dentist. The process involves flossing between the teeth and using special tools to remove plaque and tartar.
- Dental x-rays. X-rays are used to identify parts of your teeth that have been affected by decay or other problems. While some cavities are visible to the naked eye, others are more difficult to spot. For instance, cavities that are hidden between two teeth can usually only be identified with the help of an x-ray.
- Fillings. If you have cavities in your teeth, your dentist will repair them using fillings. They typically use a drill to remove any decayed portions of your tooth. A special material is then used to fill the resulting hole, helping to prevent further decay.
- Tooth extractions. Teeth that are severely damaged or that have a lot of decay may need to be removed.
- Root canals. When the root of a tooth becomes infected, the dentist will usually perform a root canal. With this procedure, they drill down into the tooth and remove the pulp from inside the root canal. They then flush the canal with an antibacterial solution, fill it in with a special material, and cover the hole. In most cases, the tooth is then fitted with a crown to provide additional protection
- Crowns. Crowns are false teeth that fit over the top of an existing tooth. They are used to repair severely damaged teeth or to strengthen teeth that are likely to break.
- Bridges. If a patient has a missing tooth or teeth, the dentist may place a bridge in their mouth. Crowns are placed on the teeth on either side of the gap. A false tooth is then supported between the crowns, filling in the gap and replacing the missing tooth.
Typically, a family dentist in SW Portland OR will offer all of these services, making it easy to keep your teeth in great shape.